Basel implementation in challenging times – How to find the right balance?
- Start: 06/15/2022 | 11:15am
- End: 06/15/2022 | 12:30pm
There are plenty of challenges ahead of us, the transition to a digital and sustainable economy, dealing with the impacts of the pandemic and a staggering inflation. Also the Russian aggression against Ukraine has made a recalibration of our political and economic priorities necessary.
At this time it is critical that one of the key EU legislative projects for banks in this legislative period, the implementation of the Basel banking standards, will be successful. It has to be ensured that financial stability is safeguarded while banks remain enabled to support the real economy with its many challenges.
How the EU could find this balance and what will be the way forward, especially in the European Parliament, are the pressing questions we want to discuss. For this purpose we want to discuss the implications of the banking package with ECON Rapporteur Jonás Fernández, MEP who has just published his draft report, as well as representatives of the real economy and the banking sector.
15.15 Event starts
- Friedrich von Heusinger, Head of the Representation of the State of Hessenconomic situation and outlook
- Christian Ossig, Chief Executive, Association of German Banks
- Jonás Fernández, MEP, Rapporteur of the Banking Package
- Marcus Chromik, Chief Risk Officer, Commerzbank
- James Watson, Director Economics, BusinessEurope
- Moderated by Sandra Parthie, Head of the Brussels Liaison Office, Institute of Economic Research
16:30 Event ends